I've made mashed potatoes a million times, but these are seriously the best ones I've ever had. They're smooth, creamy, luscious, and ridiculously easy to make.
They're so simple, it's wrong
The secret? The perfect ratio of potatoes, butter, and cream.
Tyler Florence has done it again.
- 4 pounds golden creamer potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters (I used yukon)
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Put the potatoes into a large pot, add the bay leaf, 2 tablespoons salt, and cover with cold water.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain them well and remove the bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, heat the cream and butter in a small saucepan.
- Put the potatoes through a ricer or food mill into a bowl. (I used a fork and just mashed them up really well!)
- Add the hot cream and season with salt and pepper. Mix together with a spoon and top with chives.