(Adapted from Food and Wine)
- 4 soft baguettes (about 7 inches long), split lengthwise (Mini Baguette Recipe!)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup plus 1/4 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon very finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 scallion, white and green parts chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, 2 very finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek or other Asian red chile sauce
- 2 large, thick, skinless catfish fillets (about 10 ounces each), halved lengthwise
- Vegetable oil, for brushing
- Thinly sliced cucumber and cilantro sprigs, for serving
- Preheat the broiler and position a rack 6 inches from the heat. Brush the cut sides of the rolls with the butter.
- In a small bowl, whisk 1/4 cup of the honey with the soy sauce, ginger, scallion and chopped garlic. Season the honey glaze lightly with salt and black pepper.
- In another small bowl, whisk 1/4 cup of the honey with the vinegar and 1 teaspoon of salt. Add the carrots and toss to combine.
- In a third small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the sambal oelek and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of honey; season the sambal mayonnaise with salt.
- Arrange the fish fillets on a baking sheet; brush with oil and season lightly with salt and pepper. Broil for about 6 minutes, until the fish is just beginning to turn opaque.
- Brush the fillets very liberally with the honey glaze and broil for 8 minutes longer, until browned and cooked through.
- Spread baguettes with the sambal mayonnaise. Using a slotted spoon, lift the carrots from the pickling liquid and spread them on the toasted bread.
- Top with the glazed fish fillets, cucumber slices and cilantro sprigs and close the sandwiches. Cut the sandwiches in half and serve right away.