(Adapted from Marcia Kiesel)
- 3/4 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise, plus more for spreading
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, halved crosswise and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 cup pickled cocktail onions, halved, plus 1/4 cup of the pickling liquid from the jar
- One 10-ounce baguette, split lengthwise and toasted, or four mini baguettes or rolls
- Sriracha or other hot sauce, for spreading
- 1 Kirby cucumber, very thinly sliced lengthwise
- Cilantro sprigs
- In a bowl, toss the chicken with the soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise and the shallot. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in another bowl, mix the carrots with the pickled onions and their liquid and let stand for 1 hour.
- Heat a grill pan. Grill the chicken and shallot slices over high heat until charred and the chicken is just cooked through, about 2 minutes per side.
- Spread mayonnaise on the cut sides of the baguette, then spread with Sriracha.
- On the bottom half, layer the carrots, onions and cucumber, then top with the chicken and shallots.
- Lay cilantro sprigs over the chicken and close the sandwich. Cut crosswise into 6 pieces and serve.