(Adapted from Closet Cooking)
Yield: 4 servings!
- 1/2 pound bacon (double smoked is good), cut into 1 inch slices
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 jalapeño peppers, diced with most of the seeds removed
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 bottle dark ale, like Guinness
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (sometimes I add more!)
- cayenne to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop bacon and cook it in a pan over medium/low heat. Set aside on paper towels to drain, reserving 1-2 tablespoons of the grease in the pan.
- Add the onion and jalapeno and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the butter and let it melt and get all bubbly then sprinkle on the flour and let it cook until it starts to turn golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the ale followed by the broth and bacon and let cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the cream, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and cheese and cook until the cheese has melted but do not bring it back to a boil.
- Season with cayenne, salt and pepper to taste