Pickled cucumbers can be used for all kinds of things. You can use them for salads, chicken dishes, and if you're like Boyfriend and you love all things pickle-related, you can eat them by themselves as a snack.
A few nights ago, I wanted something to spice up a salad, so I browsed the internets for some recipes and created my own version of a quick-pickled asian style cucumber.
I must say, I think I did pretty well. =]
- 1 cucumber, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, lightly toasted
- a pinch of salt
- Scoop seeds out of each cucumber quarter with a spoon.
- Slice cucumbers thinly. Since you scooped the seeds out of each cucumber, you'll have thinly sliced half moons.
- Dry cucumber slices in paper towels. Squeeze to drain liquid.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, sesame seeds, and salt in a small bowl.
- Place cucumbers in a mason jar, or a small ziplock bag.
- Pour vinegar mixture into the jar or bag with the cucumbers.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour, or up to one week.