- 1 cups heavy cream
- 1 cups whole milk
- 1 vanilla beans, split and scraped
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, bring the cream and milk to a simmer and add the vanilla beans.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until they become a pale yellow color, 3 to 5 minutes.
- When the milk/cream simmers, pour it gently over the egg yolks and whisk to blend.
- Pour the entire mixture back into the pot and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the mixture thickens slightly, 5 to 8 minutes.
- The sauce should register about 170 degrees F on a thermometer and still be smooth. Strain into a bowl, stir in the vanilla and allow to cool slightly before refrigerating.