Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Beignets with Vanilla Dipping Sauce

 


(Adapted from Alex Guarnaschelli)

I've made these baby donuts a zillion times since Boyfriend got me Alex Guarnaschelli's book, Old School Comfort Food

Boyfriend and the roommates lose their shit when I mention that I feel like making them.

Boyfriend told me "I didn't have to make them if I didn't want to" while giving me puppy dog eyes.

Kinny told me that she'd dip a shoe in the vanilla sauce and eat it.

I was considering making them on Monday and Robo made a whole speech about how "beignets and Mondays go together." Pretty sure that was a ploy to get me to make them right then and there.

But I was tired (or maybe feeling a little sadistic?) yesterday.

So here I am, on a Tuesday, frying up donuts in the middle of the  night.

Maybe I should get those three to cover my rent next month in exchange for late-night donuts.

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon plus 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1/3 cup powdered sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 3 1/2 cups bread flour
  • Extra flour, for rolling the dough (about 1 cup total)
  • 1 gallon fryer oil



Directions:
  1. In a medium bowl, stir together the yeast and the water. Set aside to proof.
  2. After 10 minutes, stir in the all-purpose flour, cover with plastic, set aside in a warm place and let it double in size.
  3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar, 8 to 10 minutes.
  4. Add the eggs, with the mixer on low speed, one by one. When the mix is smooth, add the vanilla and salt. Stir to blend. Add the bread flour and mix on low speed until fully incorporated.
  5. Change the electric mixer attachment to a dough hook. Continue mixing the dough until it becomes a ball.
  6. Then, stir in the yeast mixture until thoroughly incorporated. Put the dough in a bowl, cover with plastic and allow to proof, 1 hour to 1 hour 30 minutes.
  7. Lightly flour a cool surface and roll the dough out to about 1 1/2-inch thickness.
  8. Using a pizza cutter, cut them into 1.5 in. x 1.5 in squares, and turn them onto a floured baking sheet to rest, 20 to 30 minutes, before frying.
  9. Heat the oil in a large pot to 365 to 370 degrees F.
  10. Drop the beignets in the hot fat and cook until golden brown on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes.
  11. Remove them from the oil with a slotted spoon. Dust with powdered sugar.
  12.  Serve immediately with Vanilla Dipping Sauce.





No comments:

Post a Comment