Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Cheddar and Chive Guinness Bread



Cooking with alcohol is one of my favorite things to do.

Why?

A: Because I have a legitimate excuse to drink while I cook.
B: Because being a barista and learning how to taste and pair food and beverages has made me fall in love with pairings.
C: Because it's delicious.

Guinness is my favorite beer. I've spent a lot of my life searching for the perfect pint of Guinness, and have found only a few places that can do on-tap Guinness right (My favorite is Tiernan's Irish Pub in San Francisco!). Suffice to say, food infused with Guinness makes me happier than anything else in the world.

I came across this recipe around St. Patrick's Day this year, when PunchFork posted it from their Facebook page. This was around the time that I was stranded in NorCal, so I completely forgot about it until tonight.

I got a concussion at work this week, and it's been harder than usual for me to eat, so Boyfriend took me to the store to find something for dinner. I saw Irish Cheddar, and remembered how much I wanted to make this bread. I suggested it to Boyfriend, who, of course, didn't need much convincing.

I also must have been feeling extra discombobulated due to my head injury, because I suggested that Boyfriend make it for us...with my supervision, of course!

And you know what? He did a pretty damn good job.

Shit, I wish I could eat this for every meal every day.

(Adapted from The Kitchn)

Cheddar and Chive Guinness Bread

Ingredients: 


  • 2 3/4 cups sifted all purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 (12-ounce) bottle Irish stout beer
  • 4 ounces grated Irish cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 cup chopped chives
  • 1/4 cup Irish butter, melted

Directions:



  1. Preheat oven to 375° F. Line 8 1/2- x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, or coat with butter. (I HATE buying extra stuff, but parchment paper is so much easier and cleaner!)
  2. In a mixing bowl, thoroughly whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Pour in the beer and mix until the dry ingredients are evenly moistened. Set aside 1/3 cup of the cheese and fold the remainder into the dry ingredient/beer mixture. Fold in Chives. Transfer the batter to prepared pan. 
  3. Pour the melted butter evenly over top of the dough. Bake about 30 minutes then scatter the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese over the top. 
  4. Return the loaf to the oven and bake 15 to 20 minutes longer or until a tester inserted near the center comes out clean. 
  5. Cool in the pan for 5-8 minutes.
  6. Remove from pan, slice, and serve warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment