- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup filtered water
- 10 basil leaves
- 4 whole ripe peaches, peeled and pitted
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 - 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Bring water, sugar, 8 basil leaves, and lemon juice to a boil in a medium-sized non-reactive pot. Reduce heat and allow it to simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, puree peaches. Peaches tend to have stringy flesh, so I like to do this by hand to get rid of the stringiness. Use a fork or your hands to smash peaches in a bowl. Press peaches through a fine mesh strainer into a second bowl. You can use your hands or the back of a large serving spoon. Continue to smash and press until the only thing left in the strainer is stringy pulp (There shouldn't be too much of this!).
- Remove basil leaves from sugar syrup and pour sugar into peach puree.
- Add balsamic to peach/sugar mixture and combine.
- Mince remaining two basil leaves and add them to the peach mixture.
- Freeze sorbet in your ice cream maker according to manufacturers instructions.**
- Cover and freeze until firm.
** If you don't have an ice cream maker, no problem! You can freeze it in the freezer, whisking it every thirty minutes until it has become soft-serve consistency.