- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 ounce baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- a pinch of salt
- Bring heavy cream and milk to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Turn heat to low.
- Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks, sugar, brown sugar, and salt in a medium bowl until yolks have lightened in color.
- When cream and milk are simmering, whisk in chocolate and cocoa powder until well combined and chocolate has melted. (There may be some flecks of chocolate still, but that's okay!)
- Pour about 1/3 of the hot milk into the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Pour the egg/milk mixture back into the pot of milk and continue to whisk. (This is called 'tempering'! It allows the eggs to emulsify with the cream without cooking into chunks of egg!)
- Whisk the mixture constantly over medium/low heat until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon. This will take about five minutes or so. Do not allow the mixture to boil.
- Put base into a bowl and allow to cool for 15-20 minutes. Refrigerate overnight, or until the mixture has reached 41 degrees F.
- Freeze base in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Cover and freeze until hardened.