Saturday, September 21, 2013

Thai Chicken with Basil



(Adapted from Food & Wine)


So this is Benjamin Basil. He is my basil plant. And I haven't killed him yet!


Boyfriend bought Benjamin Basil for me a few weeks ago, and since this is my third basil plant, I did extensive research on how to keep basil plants alive.

Long story short, the secret to keeping a basil plant alive is keeping the soil moist.

That's it.

So I guess I can't take too much credit for not killing my plant yet. It's pretty easy to keep alive. And it's been really nice to have fresh basil whenever I want it. It's also pretty sweet that Ben grows super fast. I can use as much basil as I need, and it grows back by the next day!

Here's the first recipe that was graced with Benjamin Basil's deliciousness:

Ingredients:


  • 1 1/3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4), cut into 1-by-2-inch pieces
  • 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce 
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cooking oil
  • 1 large onion, cut into thin slices
  • 3 fresh red chiles, seeds and ribs removed, cut into thin slices, or 1/4 teaspoon dried red-pepper flakes
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 1/2 cups lightly packed basil leaves
Directions:


  1. In a medium bowl, combine the chicken with the fish sauce, soy sauce, water, and sugar.
  2. In a large nonstick frying pan or a wok, heat the oil over moderately high heat.
  3. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in the chiles and garlic; cook, stirring, 30 seconds longer.
  4. Remove the chicken from the marinade with a slotted spoon and add it to the hot pan. Cook until almost done, stirring, about 3 minutes.
  5. Add the marinade and cook 30 seconds longer.
  6. Remove from the heat and stir in 1 cup of the basil. Serve topped with the remaining 1/2 cup basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment