Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Lemon Chicken Cordon Bleu




I know I'm being really lazy with posts. I started menu/grocery planning last week. I made a list of recipes for dinner each night for an entire month, along with weekly grocery lists. 

It's been a little over a week since I started menu planning. Boyfriend and I went on our second shopping trip yesterday. I tried to plan my menu with our busy schedule in mind, and I also tried to mix it up as much as possible so we wouldn't be eating chicken three nights in a row, or salad with every meal. 

So far, it's been going really well. My goal is to cook a new meal every night of the week, and get recipes up the same night I cook them. I've definitely done well with cooking every night, but posting seems to be a bit harder for me. 

Tonight marks the first night of posting as I cook. I really hope I can stick with it and not be so much of a lazy asshole!

Tonight's dinner was an easier one, since I'm exhausted after a long day at work and I start school tomorrow at CSU San Bernardino. ( SO excited to FINALLY be going to big kid college after four years of city college!)

The best part? It was super easy and looks fancy as shit. 

Lemon Chicken Cordon Bleu

(Adapted from Can You Stay For Dinner)

Serves 2

Ingredients:


  • 2 whole chicken breasts
  • 2 slices provolone cheese
  • 2 slices smoked ham. Extra virgin olive oil
  • 4 thin slices of lemon
  • 1 slice of white bread
  • 1/8 tsp lemon zest
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • cayenne pepper
  • granulated garlic
  • freshly minced parsley
  • olive oil
  • salt
  • freshly cracked pepper


Directions:


  1. Preheat your oven to 400°F.
  2. Mince bread into crumbs, or use a food processor.
  3. Saute crumbs with lemon zest, 1 tsp olive oil, a pinch of cayenne pepper, a pinch of parsley, and a pinch of granulated garlic, until it is crispy and just begins to brown, before it burns!
  4. Place toasted crumbs into a bowl and crush them into finer crumbs.
  5. Butterfly both chicken breasts
  6. Cut that butterflied breast into two pieces along the seam that holds the two breast halves together. You will have four total pieces.

  1. Lay a slice of ham and then a slice of provolone cheese on each cutlet. You may want to tear the cheese and fold the ham so that they do not extend beyond the cutlet, because they’ll just melt or burn in the oven.
  2. Fold each cutlet over to almost seal the ham and cheese inside. Brush the tops and sides of the stuffed chicken cutlets with olive oil. Sprinkle very generously with bread crumb mixture, salt, and pepper.
  3. Cut four thin rounds of lemon and place two on each chicken bundle.

  1. Bake for 17-20 minutes.
  2. Zest a little more lemon, and sprinkle a little parsley over the top and serve.




No comments:

Post a Comment