Monday, September 10, 2012

Machine-less Chocolate Ice Cream!!




This is another one of those "I'm on my period, I need chocolate, and the grocery store is too far away" posts.

How can I possibly justify driving to the store and spending five dollars on a carton of ice cream when I have all of the ingredients to make my own here, at home? I can't.

Of course, making my own ice cream takes time, but the quality of home made ice cream makes the time worth it, right?

I hope so.

I've made ice cream before. Once. In chemistry class in high school. We use two different sized coffee cans, a few ziplock bags, and some rock salt. It was awesome AND educational.

Since I'm a barista, the last coffee I bought that came in a can was over five years ago. Also since I'm a barista, I'm broke as shit and I do not possess an ice cream machine.

No machine? No problem.

I took two different recipes and made my own awesome machine-less ice cream. Win.

(Adapted from Alton Brown and David Lebovitz)

Machine-Less Ice Cream!

Ingredients:




  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 3 cups half-and-half
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 8 large egg yolks
  • 9 ounces sugar
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract


Directions:


  1. Place the cocoa powder along with 1 cup of the half-and-half into a medium saucepan over medium heat and whisk to combine. Add the remaining half-and-half and the heavy cream. Bring the mixture just to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and remove from the heat.
  2. In a medium mixing bowl whisk the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the sugar and whisk to combine. 
  3. Temper the cream mixture into the eggs and sugar by gradually adding small amounts, until about 1/3 of the cream mixture has been added. Pour in the remainder and return the entire mixture to the saucepan and place over low heat. 
  4. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon and reaches 170 to 175 degrees F. 
  5. Pour the mixture into a container and allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Stir in the vanilla extract. 
  6. Place the mixture into the refrigerator and once it is cool enough not to form condensation on the lid, cover and store for 4 to 8 hours or until the temperature reaches 40 degrees F or below
  7. Put a deep baking dish, or bowl made of plastic, stainless steel or something durable in the freezer, and pour your custard mixture into it.
  8.  After forty-five minutes, open the door and check it.
  9. As it starts to freeze near the edges, remove it from the freezer and stir it vigorously with a spatula or whisk. Really beat it up and break up any frozen sections. Return to freezer.
  10. Continue to check the mixture every 30 minutes, stirring vigorously as it’s freezing. If you have one, you can use a hand-held mixer for best results, or use a stick-blender or hand-held mixer. You can also use a whisk.
  11. Keep checking periodically and stirring while it freezes (by hand or with the electric mixer) until the ice cream is frozen. Add in chocolate chips, toffee pieces, or any other desired mix-ins. It will likely take 2-3 hours to be ready.
  12. Transfer the ice cream to a covered storage container until ready to serve.





No comments:

Post a Comment