For as long as I can remember, I have been
celebrating my pets' birthdays. When I was younger, we made our pets birthday cakes made for humans, but now that I have my own dog babies, I wanted to make sure that they're eating cake that THEY like and that is safe and (semi) healthy for them to eat!
I read that dogs are actually not colorblind, and that they can see a specific spectrum of colors. The most vivid colors for them are blue and yellow. I wanted Toby to be able to really SEE his birthday cake, so I went with that color pallet.
Both of our doggies and our friend's king charles spaniel DEVOURED this cake.
Dog tested, Mommy approved!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 jar of baby food (chicken or beef, make sure it doesn't contain onions or garlic!)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup chopped bacon or bacon bits (We bought bacon bits, but Toby wouldn't touch them, so we used real bacon!)
- 8 oz light or fat free cream cheese
- food coloring (optional)
- Stir flour and baking powder together in a mixing bowl.
- Cream together the butter, oil, baby food and eggs.
- Mix the dry ingredients with the wet mix, and then stir in the bacon bits.
- Pour into a greased and floured 8" x 8" baking pan.
- If desired, sprinkle a light layer of bacon bits on top as a frosting substitute.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for approximately 35-40 minutes, or until the center of the cake springs back when lightly poked. Oven times may vary.
- Allow to cool for ten minutes before removing from pan.
- color cream cheese if desired, allow to cool completely, frost, and serve!