Saturday, March 23, 2013

Birthday Cake (For Doggies!!)







For as long as I can remember, I have been
celebrating my pets' birthdays. When I was younger, we made our pets birthday cakes made for humans, but now that I have my own dog babies, I wanted to make sure that they're eating cake that THEY like and that is safe and (semi) healthy for them to eat!
I read that dogs are actually not colorblind, and that they can see a specific spectrum of colors. The most vivid colors for them are blue and yellow. I wanted Toby to be able to really SEE his birthday cake, so I went with that color pallet.

Both of our doggies and our friend's king charles spaniel DEVOURED this cake. 

Dog tested, Mommy approved!






Ingredients:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2/3 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 jar of baby food (chicken or beef, make sure it doesn't contain onions or garlic!)
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/3 cup chopped bacon or bacon bits (We bought bacon bits, but Toby wouldn't touch them, so we used real bacon!)
  • 8 oz light or fat free cream cheese
  • food coloring (optional)

Directions:
  1. Stir flour and baking powder together in a mixing bowl.
  2. Cream together the butter, oil, baby food and eggs.
  3. Mix the dry ingredients with the wet mix, and then stir in the bacon bits.
  4. Pour into a greased and floured 8" x 8" baking pan.
  5. If desired, sprinkle a light layer of bacon bits on top as a frosting substitute.
  6. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for approximately 35-40 minutes, or until the center of the cake springs back when lightly poked. Oven times may vary.
  7. Allow to cool for ten minutes before removing from pan.
  8. color cream cheese if desired, allow to cool completely, frost, and serve!




No comments:

Post a Comment