I've made so many types of frostings that I generally don't even measure things out any more-- I just add stuff until it tastes good. But I've gotten so many compliments on my chocolate frosting that I decided to finally measure stuff out and put out a recipe for it.
- 1 cup room temperature butter
- 2½ cups powdered sugar (or more if you need to thicken it up)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips (about a half a bag)
- Melt chocolate chips in the microwave in a microwave safe bowl until they are completely melted. Set aside to cool.
- Whip butter using a hand mixer or a stand mixer and gradually add powdered sugar.
- Add vanilla.
- Once chips have cooled until they are warm, but not room temperature, use a rubber spatula to slowly fold them into the butter/sugar mixture. Pipe onto cupcakes immediately or allow to chill if it's still a little melty.