After seeing this recipe floating around Pinterest for a couple months, I finally decided to give it a try. I'm not too keen on frying chicken, mostly because it's super unhealthy and it's finicky (You have to have the oil at just the right temperature to allow the chicken to cook thoroughly without burning the outside!). But this recipe looked just too good to pass up. And it was.
It was so good that all I could hear next to me was Boyfriend saying "Mmm" over and over again.
The original recipe called for nutmeg, of which I'm not a huge fan, so I opted to throw it out and replace it with more ginger. I believe I made the right choice. =]
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, butterflied into four pieces
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoons ground sage
- 1 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
For the Egg Wash:
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons water
Honey Garlic Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 -4 minced garlic cloves
- 1 cup honey
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a small saucepan, heat the olive oil and cook the garlic over medium heat the to soften, but do not allow it to brown.
- Add the honey, soy sauce and black pepper. Simmer together for 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat set aside to cool.
- Make an egg wash by whisking together the 2 eggs and 4 tablespoon water; set aside.
- Whisk together the flour ginger, thyme, sage paprika and cayenne pepper; set aside.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper, then dip the meat in the flour and spice mixture. Dip the breast into the eggwash and then a final time into the flour and spice mix, pressing the mix into the meat to get good contact. Allow to rest for about 15-20 minutes to allow for good adherence.
- Heat a heavy-bottomed skillet on the stove with about a half inch of canola oil covering the bottom.
- Cook breasts about 4 or 5 minutes per side until golden brown and crispy.
- Drain on a paper towel for a few minutes.
- Serve over rice and drizzle honey garlic sauce over the chicken.