(Adapted from Kelsey Nixon)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 6 cups roughly chopped seedless watermelon (about 2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 lime, zested
- 1 (2-inch) piece ginger divided, 1-inch cut into coins, 1-inch peeled and grated
- Fleur de sel, for garnish
- In a blender, blend the lime juice and watermelon together, creating watermelon water (We actually don't have a blender currently, so we just smashed the melon up with a fork!)
- Strain the liquid through a fine mesh strainer to remove any seeds.
- Place 1/2 cup of the watermelon water into a saucepan and add the sugar, lime zest and ginger coins. Bring the mixture to a simmer to dissolve the sugar and infuse the liquid with the ginger and lime flavor. Set aside to cool.
- Add the grated ginger to the remaining watermelon water.
- Once the syrup is cool, remove the ginger coins and mix into the watermelon water.
- Pour the mixture into a 9 by 13-inch glass baking dish.
- Place the dish into the freezer to chill. Every 30 minutes, scrape the mixture with a fork to break up the ice crystals and to keep it light and fluffy.
- Continue scraping every 30 minutes for at least 2 hours.
- Scrape the granita into glasses or bowls and sprinkle with fleur de sel.