To be honest, we had a barbecue back then, and we could have barbecued, but I'm not to great with grills. I always end up burning the food...and myself.
This summer, I decided to tackle my fear. Sausage seemed like an easy place to start, so we picked up some bratwurst and a case of lager. And damn, was that a good idea.
Beer Marinated Brats with Beer Caramelized Onions
- 6 beef bratwurst links
- 24 ounces of beer (We used a lager)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 golden onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 hot dog buns
- sour kraut
- mustard (We used whole grain spicy mustard)
- Pour 12 ounces of beer into a ziplock bag with the brats. Allow them to marinate for 1-8 hours. (I realize this is a huge variance in time, but in a pinch, an hour is enough time.)
- Saute oil and garlic in a pan over medium heat for one minutes.
- Add onions and 6 ounces of beer. Cover and allow beer to simmer.
- Uncover and stir onions. When the mixture becomes dry, add the remaining beer and sauté until the onions have reached a deep, brown caramel color.
- Grill brats on medium heat until heated through.
- Toast buns on grill until heated through.
- Put your brat together and eat up!