Saturday, August 11, 2012

Blue Cheese and Mushroom Gravy Smothered Pork Chops




I may have mentioned that Boyfriend is in Washington D.C. until the end of this month. I may have forgotten to mention that we are hopeless dorks when it comes to missing each other. 

It started with just watching shows online. We've been trying to get through season 7 of 'How I Met Your Mother,' and we've been watching it online...and calling each other first to start the episodes at the EXACT same time so that we can text each other through the whole thing and pretend we're together.

Sad or cute? You tell me.

Anyway, missing each other still, we started using video chatting as a means of staying connected, whereupon I had the brilliant idea to cook via video chat. 

So we decided on pork chops, bought our ingredients, and cooked together....even though we were 2,641 miles apart.

Genius? You tell me.




These pork chops were amazing. I altered the original recipe a little to make them a little more flavorful. The word "smothered" came to mind as I poured the thick, fragrant cheese sauce over my chop. I may have drooled. I probably drooled. 

Okay, I drooled.

Oh, did I also mention that this was the first time I had ever cooked or eaten a whole pork chop? And what a great recipe to start with. Simple, yet elegant and soooo freakin' delicious.


(Adapted from Allrecipes)


Ingredients:


  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 4 thick cut pork chops
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder, or to taste
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup whipping cream
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 2 1/2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
  • 1 cup baby bella mushrooms, sliced


Directions:


  1. Melt butter in a large skillet, over medium heat. 
  2. Season the pork chops with black pepper, salt, and garlic powder. 
  3. Fry the chops in butter until no longer pink and the juices run clear, or until the internal temperature of each chop reaches 160 degrees F. Turn occasionally to brown evenly.
  4. In another skillet, sauté mushrooms and oil over medium heat until browned. Set aside.
  5. Remove chops to a plate and keep warm. 
  6. Stir the whipping cream into the skillet, loosening any bits of meat stuck to the bottom. Stir in blue cheese. 
  7. Cook, stirring constantly until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms.
  8. Pour sauce over warm pork chops.


No comments:

Post a Comment