(Adapted from AllRecipes)
- 1/8 cup butter
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dark beer (ale works best, but lager works, too)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Perfect Pizza Dough
- 1 pound Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled (Or mix it with mozzarella!)
- In a large saute pan, melt butter over medium heat. Saute onions in butter and beer until the onions are soft and dark brown, and beer has reduced, approximately 25 minutes.
- Stir in sugar, and continue cooking for 1 or 2 more minutes.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Put pizza stone or foil-covered cookie sheet into preheated oven and allow to heat up for at least 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle a flat surface with cornmeal, shape dough, and lay it out on top of the cornmeal.
- Top pizza with caramelized onions and gorgonzola.
- Transfer pizza to prepared stone or pan.
- Brush edges of crust with olive oil and bake for 8-12 minutes.