Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Had to Do It: Better-Than-Crack Brownies




Pandora Station: Florence + The Machine

(recipe adapted How Sweet It Is)

I have read about these brownies over and over again, all over the internet. In every quest I have endured looking for new desserts to try, I have come across these brownies at least once. I haven't yet had the courage to take them on, however, because they just seem a little TOO rich and decadent. I mean, when I make something, I eat it. If there is an entire pan of addictive brownies sitting in my kitchen, I will eat them. And eating them may only take a matter of hours. I have an epic sweet tooth, what can I say?

Remember how I was sick earlier today? Well, I still am. My roommate finally came home, and we decided to head over to the farmer's market, since I don't know how to rest while I'm sick. (Yes, I compulsively cleaned the house all day after I made my soup. I couldn't help it. I always feel much better when I distract myself from being sick, rather than sitting on the couch feeling the pain all day long.) Then the rainy day baking blues got to me. Or maybe it was my sick delirium? Either way, I showed my roommate this recipe on my smartphone, and he more or less peer pressured me into making these brownies...not that he had to twist my arm too much at all...

So I made them, and as much as I'd like to apologize to myself, and to you, for bringing these addictive little morsels of heaven into our lives....I don't think I can. I think the only thing I can rightly say is..."You're welcome." Enjoy!


Better-Than-Crack Brownies

  • 1 batch brownies (boxed mix)
  • 1/2 cup salted peanuts (if don’t have salted, add sea salt
  • 1 cup chopped Reese’s peanut butter cups
  • 1 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
  • 1 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1/2 tablespoon butter
  • 1 1/2 cups Rice Krispies Cereal



Mix brownies according to directions, and bake for 20-25 minutes in a 9 x 13 baking dish. Remove and top with peanuts and peanut butter cups, and bake for 4-6 minutes more.
While they are finishing baking, melt chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter. Stir in cereal. Remove brownies from oven and evenly pour chocolate mixture over top.
Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.


Here's a little something I found on the HowSweetItIs website, and it's pretty great: "Mr. How Sweet says these are healthy since they have peanuts for protein and good fat, and since the back of the Rice Krispie box says the cereal is a 'healthy snack'"  

Amazing.

1 comment:

  1. i love this... and love that they are "healthy"! haha

    ReplyDelete