I'm not even going to pretend that I'm not a lazy asshole sometimes. Yes, I love food, and yes, I love to cook, but a lot of the time, I don't really feel like cooking, or even waiting for food to cook. A lot of the time, the urge to be lazy and sit in front of the tv watching Grey's Anatomy and eating a protein bar wins over cooking a nice dinner when I've worked all day and I'm exhausted and starving.
I got the idea for this pasta at a dinner party I went to years ago, and I tweaked it a bit, created my own version, and it's been my lazy-night "fancy" dinner go-to ever since. Oh, and did I mention it's totally healthy? Every time I make this, I feel like a fancy, wealthy, food-saavy, hipster, health nut. I should just buy a pair of Tom's and some thick-rimmed glasses already to really fit the part.
Shrimp and Basil Pasta
- 1/2 package whole wheat thick spaghetti
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 lb. fresh uncooked (cleaned) shrimp (frozen works, too!)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2-4 ounces goat cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- balsamic vinegar to taste
- Cook pasta according to package instructions
- Saute shrimp in a pan over medium heat in olive oil until shrimp is fully cooked and pink in color
- Add the pasta to the pan with the shrimp.
- Fold in basil, and stir until it is slightly wilted
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Serve with crumbled goat cheese and sprinkle with balsamic vinegar
Note: Make sure that you crumble the goat cheese on the pasta after you've plated it, or the cheese will melt and disappear into the pasta mixture (And it is a serious bummer haha)