Thursday, February 16, 2012

Valentine's Day = LAME



     I absolutely hate Valentine's day. I seriously do. I just don't see the point. It's an entire day devoted to having expectations of your significant other, and spending money on useless gifts that are supposed to be meaningful. Really? Reeeally? Is a teddy bear holding an ugly plush heart meaningful?

     Not to me. Nope. I don't need shit like that. And Boyfriend definitely does not need to shower me with lame gifts and flowers and chocolate to get me into bed. (Okay...maybe chocolate would help a little...)

     And even if I did want lame gifts and flowers and chocolate, why would I want it on the same day that everyone else is getting it? To me, that feels less like a personal, meaningful gift, and more like a generic, last minute, thoughtless token of supposed-affection. I mean, of course flowers and chocolate and dumb trinkets are cool...but why do I only get them one day a year? Ohhhh, because it's the most romantic  day of the year. Of course!

     I'm not bitter, I swear.

     I've celebrated Valentine's Day before, and I guess I used to be into it. Over the years it really started to dawn on me how dumb it was, and since then, every year I have clearly informed my significant others of my detestation for the holiday, and most of the time, my hatred has been respected. I mean, there were a couple times where my boyfriend or girlfriend ignored me and did stuff for me anyway, and I can't say it went over too well. In fact, I acted like a complete asshole in every one of these situations, and I feel pretty awful about it now.

     So when Boyfriend brought Valentine's Day up, I gave him the same speech I'd given everyone else. He was pretty bummed, but he ultimately agreed let it go.

     I think that's what made me feel the worst. I'm Boyfriend's first real girlfriend...and this was his first official Valentine's day with someone to spend it with...and even though it's important to him, he let it go without much of a fight. I've experienced Valentine's Day with a significant other before. What kind of person would I be if I didn't let him experience it, too? Hell, maybe letting him have this holiday now would make him realize how lame it is and I'll never have to deal with it again! Either way, it would definitely get me laid.

     That's when I decided to give him an amazing, epic Valentine's day dinner.

     Oh, and not just ANY dinner.

     I asked him to come over at 8pm, and to stop by the store and pick up a bottle of Cupcake Cabernet Sauvignon. (I often make us dinner, and we often have wine, so this didn't ruin the surprise.)

     I started the meal with a fresh spring mix salad, dressed with a white balsamic dressing. I also made him Goat Cheese Stuffed Filet Mignon with Balsamic Reduction Sauce, served over Rosemary Garlic Mashed Potatoes, with Balsamic Roasted Asparagus.



     


     For dessert, I made Basil Balsamic Strawberry Shortcakes with Barefoot Pink Moscato champagne.




     And it was more than just dinner.

     I went all over town, finding the perfect table settings and decor.

     I bought candles and fancy chocolate.

     SHIT....I even had a slideshow with pictures of us set to music playing on the bigscreen. I'll say it. I'm awesome. I win the Best Girlfriend Award.




     AAAAND Voila! Valentine's, Schmalentines. I could do this every night. (Not really...I'm wayyy too lazy for that.)



   

     Needless to say, Boyfriend was very surprised and very happy.



And this bitch got laid.


This Valentine's Day thing could work for me, after all.






No comments:

Post a Comment