Sunday, April 8, 2012

French Onion Soup Grilled Cheese Sandwiches




French onion soup is one of my favorite things in the entire world. When I came across this recipe on PunchFork, I was pretty excited. I emailed Boyfriend the link immediately and told him that he should make them for me.

We go to Big Bear in the San Bernardino mountains a lot. It's kind of our place. It's only an hour away, we both love nature, and we're constantly looking for ways to escape. Tonight, we decided to take an impromptu trip to celebrate ten months of being together. We got a cabin at the same place we always go to, The Big Bear Frontier Lodge. Normally, we just get a room there, but since it's Sunday, cabins are a bit cheaper, so we have been granted the luxury of a full kitchen. And you bet I wanted to make french onion soup grilled cheese sandwiches!

Normally, Boyfriend and I go to a new restaurant every time we come up here, but I felt like since I had this recipe and we had this kitchen, it was only right that I tried the sandwiches. Boyfriend was definitely okay with this. 

So we bought all of the ingredients, a few other things, and I tweaked the recipe a bit t make it my own. And boy, was this a great idea.

Try it. You will not be disappointed.



French Onion Soup Grilled Cheese Sandwiches


Ingredients


Caramelized Onions:

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 3 large yellow onions, sliced thinly
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/4 cup dry red wine
  • 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped

Sandwich:

  • 4 slices gruyere cheese
  • 4 slices fontina cheese
  • 8 slices sourdough bread
  • Salted butter, softened
Yields: 4 sandwiches

Directions

  1. Melt butter in a medium pan and medium heat, stir in onions to coat them with the butter.
  2. Cover the pan, add salt and pepper, and allow the onions to sweat for 10-12 minutes.
  3. Uncover the pan and caramelize the onions, stirring frequently for 30 mins- 1 hour. The onions will be ready when they have become dark golden-brown.
  4. Add your wine, and continue to cook the onions until the wine smell is cooked out, scraping the bottom of the pan as you stir. Add more salt and pepper. The onions will be a rich, dark color with a syrupy texture.
  5. Place a slice of gruyere cheese on a slice of bread. Top this with some of the onion mixture, a slice of fontina, and then a second slice of bread. Repeat this process with the remaining three sandwiches.
  6. Butter both sides of each sandwich and place them on a griddle. Lay a metal pan or bowl on top to keep the sandwiches weighed down. Cook for about 4-6 minutes on each side, or until the sandwiches are golden-brown.

Holy Mother of...

I just ate one of these and I am so happy right now. So. Happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment