Sunday, April 29, 2012

Sunday Sweets with Sam! Episode 1: Chewy Red Velvet White Chocolate Chip Cookies




There comes a time in every girl's life when she says "Enough!" to using her cellphone to take pictures for her burgeoning blog. And the time for this girl has come.
I've actually been thinking about getting a decent camera for a while now, but it's definitely going to take me some time to come up with the funding for that, so until then, I'm going to have to rely on the kindness of strangers...sort of. 
At first, I thought about asking my oldest brother to help me out. He mostly does concert photography, but has a lot of experience with taking pictures in general. Unfortunately, he lives over an hour away, and is also a student with a full-time job. I may borrow him at some point in the future, but for now, it's too inconvenient.
Last weekend I had a pretty epic birthday party, which involved wayyy too much alcohol, a ghetto makeshift beer pong table, thirty people getting wasted with me, and a really intense drinking game called "dizzy bat" (More on dizzy bat later...). Scott, a co-worker of mine, brought his lady friend and his brother, Sam.
Through some mild Facebook stalking (Don't judge me. We all do it. In fact, it's amazing how many people I "know" from Facebook, but never talk to...), I learned that Sam had a legit camera and had a pretty good eye for photography. And then I made him an offer he couldn't refuse. Cue classic italian mafia movie music...
In exchange for taking pictures of my culinary creations, Sam would receive: (1) a large quantity of whatever food he photographed, (2) full access to our overstocked beer fridge while he's here, (3) ample experience with foodtography, and (4) a really legit high five from yours truly.
I'd say that's a pretty amazing prize package. (Especially the high five part...) And Sam agreed!
And as an added bonus, I'm starting a new segment to my blog, called "Sunday Sweets with Sam," where I'll put up a new dessert or sweet recipe featuring Sam's photography every Sunday. 
Today, as SSWS's maiden voyage, I'm giving you my recipe for Chewy Red Velvet White Chocolate Chip Cookies. 
I believe that this may be the beginning of a beautiful friendship. Stay tuned, internet. 

Chewy Red Velvet White Chocolate Chip Cookies







Ingredients: 


1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg


1 teaspoon vanilla

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup cocoa powder (Fair trade is usually the best quality!)

1 1/2 teaspoons red food coloring

1/2 cup white chocolate chips




Directions:

Preheat oven to 375.

Cream butter and sugars together until fluffy in the bowl of an electric mixer (This adds air bubbles, which helps create that chewiness!). Add egg and vanilla and combine until there are no more lumps. Beat in red food coloring. Combine cocoa, flour, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl. Gradually fold dry ingredients into wet mixture. Fold in chips.

Spoon 1-2 in balls of dough on a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake for 9-11 minutes.




Enjoy!











1 comment: