Friday, April 27, 2012

Red Velvet Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting




Here's a killer red velvet recipe I got from my best friend, Amanda. She sent this to me a couple years ago, and it's been my go-to red velvet recipe ever since. I especially love that she gave me a recipe for frosting that stays "high and mighty."


Ingredients:

2 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 sticks of butter, softened
2 cups of sugar
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup of milk
1 bottle of red food coloring
2 tsp. vanilla


Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt, set aside
3. Beat butter and granulated sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed for 5 minutes until light and fluffy-tastic.
4. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time.
5. Mix in sour cream, milk, red dye, vanilla.
6. Gradually beat in flour mix on low speed until just blended. DO NOT OVERBEAT.
7. Pour batter into prepared cupcake pans with cupcake liners/cups
8. Bake 10-15 minutes (check after 10 minutes with toothpick)


I learned after the last two times of using the cream cheese frosting recipe i usually use, that its a bit runny so I discovered a nice thick buttercream that tastes well with the red velvet, also I like it thick so i can use a piping bag and decorating tip (#1M) and the icing doesn't shrink, it stays high and mighty. But I suggest if you do want to end up making a cream cheese icing, to add more sugar than it calls for to thicken it.


Buttercream Frosting for Cupcakes

1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 tsp. clear vanilla flavoring
4 cups (1 lb.) sifted confectioners’ sugar
2 Tbsp. milk

(A couple drops of peppermint extract is pretty delicious, too!)

Using mixer, cream butter and shortening and then add vanilla. Add sugar gradually. Once mixed, add milk and beat on high until fluffy.

No comments:

Post a Comment