Thursday, April 5, 2012

Lemon Dill Marinated Seared Salmon Filets

Lemon Dill Marinated Seared Salmon Filets




I'm sure I've mentioned before that my mom didn't cook a lot of red meat when we were growing up. We mainly had chicken and fish. In fact, our mother would buy the huge bulk bags of frozen, individually wrapped salmon filets from Costco and bake them a few nights a week. And mom would bake it plain...as in no marinade, no seasoning. She calls herself a 'purist.' Ha.

Needless to say, we dreaded salmon nights, and would basically bitch and moan when the answer to "What's for dinner?" was "Salmon!" 

Boyfriend loves fish. Actually, his love of fish is pretty funny when it comes to eating out. Fish is a pretty feminine thing to order in a restaurant, and Boyfriend pretty much orders it every time. I can't tell you how many times a server has brought a filet of fish and a big juicy steak to the table and tried to give the steak to Boyfriend and the fish to me. 

And it's not that Boyfriend doesn't enjoy a good steak or a burger, it's just that given the option, he'll choose fish almost every time. This is a problem for both of us (Mainly him, since I do a lot of the cooking, and I NEVER feel like fish). But every once in a while, I'm nice and I'll suggest making fish...but only if it has a decent marinade!

Yesterday, Boyfriend bought be a GIANT teddy bear, so I'm going to be nice tonight and cook him some fish.



And I'm not going to lie...we have one of those big bags of frozen, individually wrapped salmon filets from Costco. What can I say? I am my mother's daughter, after all.



Lemon Dill Marinated Salmon Filets

(Serves 2)

Ingredients


  • 2 (6 oz.) salmon filets
  • 4 tablespoons of lemon juice
  • 2-3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon lemon zest (SUPER important for a good, solid lemon flavor)
  • 2 teaspoons dried dill
  • 2-3 garlic cloves, minced

Directions

  1. Combine lemon juice, oil, zest, dill, and garlic in a ziplock freezer bag.
  1. Place salmon inside, push out as much air as possible, and seal bag shut.
  1. Refrigerate for 2 hours. (You can marinate them a bit longer, but be careful, as the acid in the lemon may start cooking your filets!)
  1. Sear salmon on med-hi heat for 4-5 minutes each side. Be careful not to flip it too early! If it's still sticking to the pan, its not ready. The cool thing about fish is that when it's ready to flip, it will unstick itself!
Serve with rice and steamed veggies! (Freakin' delicious, even for someone who isn't particularly a fish enthusiast!)

No comments:

Post a Comment